Saturday, February 1, 2014

Session 4 - Reflection

New standards - Maintain high standards ethics behaviour in/out school - reflective task. Is your behaviour contradictory to this eg do you smoke, drink, promiscuity?

Hmmmm. I have no idea. I don't smoke, only drink on occasion and have been faithfully married for nearly 20 years. But I'm not sure I like the idea of my professional life being judged against my personal one. If society thinks smoking is so bad that children should not encounter it some new laws need to be written up as I see parents smoke, respected members of society smoke etc.
Who decides what is promiscuity? Men and women seem to be held up to very different labels in this area.
There might be a level of hypocrisy where teachers tell children not to do, or to do, something where they fall short. On the other hand I explain to my daughter that I have a lot of bad habits I don't want her slip into, and that I try and minimise those when she is around as I hate the expression my parents fell back on "Do say I say, not as I do."
There's also the added irritation of a government that sets standards for teachers personal behaviour when they don't create or enforce laws that would do this for everyone for fear of losing votes (late night drinking?) and big business helping, personal pocket lining, climate change denying, disability/unemployment demonising, freeloading politicians fall far short of.... *ahem*.

No comments:

Post a Comment